There are limited means for biopharmaceutical corporations to sustain aggressive growth in this post-blockbuster era. While biologics, biomarkers, genomics, proteomics, and personalized medicine offer vibrant alternatives, the business, financial, and operating dynamics of the industry are in a state of flux.
As a strategic and technical consultancy with global focus, HERON considers health trends and practices in developed and emerging markets, in tandem with policy drivers, to support investment decision-making and commercial planning for products, portfolios, and organizations.
From the initial balance of strategies employed to economies of scale realized throughout implementation, HERON, in its broadest form, supports commercial viability, inclusive of expert recommendation and evidence-based substantiation.
In a market defined by the level of innovation applied within given areas of opportunity, HERON’s industry expertise and scientific heritage offer you a strong option in planning for the future.
To engage HERON in a Request for Proposal for strategic planning services, click here.
Examples of growth and commercialization strategies involving HERON expertise include:
- Acquisition or divestment: HERON analyzes market potential and competitive drivers to support the prioritization of drug and biologic acquisition as a means to strengthen current therapeutic portfolios, manage competition, and enter new therapeutic areas with appropriately gated levels of investment.
- Research and development prioritization: New compounds, expanded indications, and the pursuit of biologics, genomics, and personalized medicine occupy a good portion of the R&D landscape, with HERON providing the evidence base and consultancy bench to inform investment decision-making.
- Expansion/investment in new therapeutic areas: Expansion/investment in new therapeutic areas: Based on global health issues, trends, and drivers, HERON’s environmental scans assess likely development scenarios in investment portfolio planning based on the need for therapeutic and investment prioritization.
- Go-no-go decision making: A recently retired chief executive officer of a major pharmaceutical corporation commented publically that if he had it to do all over again, the single issue he’d most want to handle better would be early go-no-go decision-making. The investment is high and the future unpredictable, one case in point being the rare but occurring miracle strategy for products such as Lipitor, which redefined Pfizer’s standing. HERON’s approach to go-no-go decision-making examines a product’s true value in the delivery of healthcare – and from multiple perspectives – with final recommendations grounded in scientific evidence and industry knowledge.
- Efficiency and effectiveness in all aspects of commercial development: The most frequently employed, yet infrequently accomplished, endeavor to attain profitably comes in the form of efficiency and effectiveness gains as a means to control cost. HERON maintains a resolute focus on achieving economies of scale and can advise and support internal commercial initiatives as they pertain to our areas of expertise. Examples include developing and maintaining an evidence base for a therapy or a therapeutic portfolio with internal stakeholder reporting that informs everything from development of a product’s value story to pricing, reimbursement and access strategies for all products within said portfolio.
- Patent protection and access strategy execution via stakeholder loyalty: Gaining and sustaining market share given generic (and other) competition, fundamentally involves stakeholder engagement. Gaining and sustaining market share given generic (and other) competition is an ever increasing focus amongst our clients. HERON’s approach and methodology assesses product value, brand loyalty and other key attributes to develop mature brand strategies to support our clients’ full portfolio. . Applied to pricing, reimbursement, and market access strategy and execution, HERON’s strength in the creative management of stakeholder perceptions can be a strong addition to internal team capabilities.
Whatever level or degree of challenge you face in spiriting commercialization and growth in your company –as a manager, director, or vice president realizing costs savings through efficiency - to a chief executive officer and/or medical director setting the course for R&D – HERON can guide, substantiate, and articulate core actionable recommendations while applying key internal and external stakeholder input and recommendation.